Thursday, May 3, 2012

"All Adventurous Girls Do"

Last week my brother from another mother Oscar (aka the indomitable DJ Taco Tuesday) sent me a text.
"Have you been watching Girls on HBO? The last scene of the 3rd episode just made me miss the shit out of you"
Of course I had heard of Girls, the internets are awash with bloggers and critics singing it's praises and you can't walk fifty paces in LA without encountering a bus or billboard urging you tune in. If you have just woken up from a months long coma disappointed at the lack of a zombie apocalypse and you want to know why there are four believably beautiful hipstery girls staring out at you from every bus bench in America, here the jist: Girls a new series that follows the lives and  mishaps of four friends living in the hipstery part of Brooklyn. It's produced by Judd Apatow and written and directed, by Lena Dunham who also plays the ostensible "Carrie" of the four girls, a writer (an essayist like me!) named Hannah who has a knack for making truly ill informed decisions about her own life (also like me!).

I'll admit I was intrigued, but with my already densely packed viewing schedule (which includes Fringe, Gossip Girl, Nurse Jackie, 30 Rock, American Dad, Family Guy, Ru Paul's Drag Race, and Supernatural,  for those of you keeping track at home) I was pretty content to get into Girls at some later date. But for a narcissist like me sending me a message saying "This show makes me miss you" is a bait i can't help but to rise to. And with season 4 of RPDR having recently come to a close I decided I couldn't resist. So last night The Fella and I tracked down and consumed the first three episodes and we were treated to an hour and a half of clueless boyfriends, awful sexual encounters, STD screenings and a lovingly drawn portrait of these four ladies' friendships. It was delightful (though occasionally hard to watch, which was also delightful) all the way up until the final scene of the third episode where Hannah opens up her twitter account and struggles to squeeze a day's  worth of unpleasantness and disappointments into 140 characters and i realized, if i were a girl I'd be this is the girl I'd be; funny and brave and slightly insecure, and doing my best to distill my neurosis into stories for other people to enjoy. I was hooked, and my text back to Oscar read...

"I effing love you"

No comments: