Friday, July 4, 2008

Happy Birthday America!


Sweet Angry God. Pride was a week ago and i am just now starting to feel like a human being again. The Burning Mary/HomoChic party friday was a HUGE success. If i were the type to brag i might say that it was The Party of the Weekend. I might say that anyway because it is the only event i have real clear memories of (thank you alcohol!) I spent monday laying around my apartment praying for death, and tuesday i was as stoned as humanly possible while cleaning the epic devastation that my living space had become. You'd think with all the free time i've had this week i might have spent some of it writing, but clearly that didn't happen. I really have to learn the knack of writing while drunk/hungover or this blog... er... 'cultural journal' is never gonna get off the ground. But i digress.

Pride is over. The time has come for Independence Day! You have no clue how much i love the 4th of July. I love hot dogs on toasted buns, loaded down with ketchup and relish. I love fireworks filling the skies above me with light and sound and magic. I even love to sing 'The Star Spangled Banner.' I love America.

I am a Patriot.

I know that might catch some of you off guard. It isn't exactly 'cool' for a man of my generation, raised on slacker movies and other hallmarks of the early 90's. I am fully aware of Samuel Johnson's great quote, "Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel." I know that our government has used our military to invade sovereign nations and prop up dictators. I know that our corporations steal the resources and indigenous wisdom of peoples all over the word so we here can have bigger cars and newer pharmaceuticals. We are greedy and fat and stupid and blah blah blah.

For all of our flaws we are the the first nation founded not on a clan tie or some king's conquest, but on an Ideal. We are the only country in the world built on the idea that we can all be Happy and Free.

And even if the execution leaves something to be desired, the Ideal and Intent are worth loving.

No comments: